To download Tax Short Courses registration form click here.
To download the Certificate in Value Added Tax course syllabus click here.
The professions and commerce are becoming increasingly aware that Value Added Tax (VAT) needs to be considered along with the other mainstream taxes and as a consequence of this they need to ensure that their staffs are trained in VAT. The Certificate in Value Added Tax was introduced to offer training to those in professions and commerce who deal with VAT on a day to day basis but who have never received any formal training.
The Institute recognizes that the professional exams of the Institute might not be appropriate for these people but their training and qualification in VAT would be: -
- To meet this need, the Institute has introduced the Certificate in Value Added Tax. There are many benefits arising from this certificate both to the employer and the individuals. It will ensure that staff are properly trained in VAT compliance work and by passing examinations will be eligible to receive a Certificate in Value Added Tax which will be evidence that they have attained the required level of certification.
- Anyone who decides to undertake the certificate, has to follow the set registration procedures – the Institute being the examining body and The Tax Academy being the training provider
The Certificate itself will not give membership of the Institute but upon completion of the 4 certificates, one can apply to sit for qualifying examinations to membership of the Institute.
To register, 1 has to download and complete the Short Certificate Courses registration form and submit with it the following;
- Certified Copy of National ID
- 2 Drivers' Licence Size Photos (in colour)
- Certified copies of both academic and professional certificates held
Upon registration as a Certificate in Value Added Tax Student the institute will issue a registration number, after which 1 can then proceed to register with the tuition provider.
Registration to sit the Final Examination
The Short Certificate Courses Examinations will be set in the following months (January, March, May, July, September, November). Candidates can only register for the Examinations after having gone through 2 months of study with The Tax Academy, and having provided proof thereto. The Institute has the right to get confirmation of study from The Tax Academy.
Statement of Practice
Relevant Statute Books and other legislation may be used during the Certificate in Value Added Tax examinations.
Why the Institute allows access to statute books during the Short Courses Examinations?
The Institute does not want the Short Courses examinations to be simply a test of a candidate’s memory but of their skill and application. Therefore, it is important that candidates know both where the law can be found, and to be able to explain and apply it.
What students may have access to during the examination?
- Legislation Books
- Candidates are allowed access to one of each of the following if they so wish;
1. Income Tax Act
2. Value Added Tax Act
3. Finance Act
(NB: All legislation must be in its original binding)
Access to legislation books only is permitted. Access to other text books is not allowed.